J.D., University of San Diego School of Law 2011
M.S. Ed., City University of New York (City College of New York) 2005
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Pennsylvania 2002
Erik Johnson specializes in advising and defending employers on a variety of labor and management matters, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, unfair competition, and wage and hour claims.
Erik has extensive experience litigating in California’s state and federal courts. He has also successfully represented clients before a broad array of state and federal administrative agencies.
In addition to litigation, Erik counsels employers on effective ways to reduce their risk of litigation through policy changes, employee handbook updates and revisions, compliant leaves of absence, workplace investigations, discipline and terminations, employment agreements, arbitration agreements, and other human resource issues and strategies.
Erik earned his Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego School of Law, where he served as a Board Member and Lead Articles Editor of the San Diego Law Review. Before law school, Erik graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Arts in History.
Prior to his career as an attorney, Erik taught at a public school in Harlem through the New York City Teaching Fellows program.
- Represented national medical device manufacturer in discrimination claim. Obtained dismissal of case.
- Represented international chain of luxury movie theaters in wrongful termination and defamation claim. Obtained favorable settlement through use of dispositive motion practice.
- Represented retirement home chain in pregnancy discrimination lawsuit. Complete defense verdict at trial.
- Represented credit union in consumer claim. Leveraged motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction to secure nuisance value settlement.
- Represented nationwide provider of parking solutions in disability discrimination claim. Obtained favorable settlement after securing key admissions during plaintiff’s deposition.
- Represented international medical organization in sensitive sexual harassment and sexual assault claim. Secured favorable pre-litigation resolution of matter.
- Represented international technology company in national origin discrimination claim.
- Obtained workplace violence restraining order for publicly-traded company after contested evidentiary hearing.
- Successfully defended many charges filed with administrative agencies, including the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Successfully represented numerous employers in class action litigation and claims under the California Private Attorneys General Act alleging and wage and hour violations.
- Prosecuted and defended unfair competition cases involving breach of non-compete agreements.
- Prosecuted and obtained many workplace violence restraining orders.
- Conducted several workplace investigations on claims involving sexual harassment.
- Successfully defended business owners in access cases brought under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Unruh Civil Rights Act.
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- State of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- North County Human Resources San Diego
- San Diego Society for Human Resource Management
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Corporate Alliance, “Marijuana in Business” (2019)
- Business & Legal Resources, Inc., “FMLA/CFRA Leave is Exhausted, Now What? How to Avoid Legal Landmines Regarding Temporary Transfers, Fitness-for-Duty Exams, Accommodation Requests, and More” (2019)
- SDHR Forum Legal Update, “#MeToo’s Impact on Confidentiality and Settlement Agreements” (2018)
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program
- Surfrider Foundation, San Diego County Chapter
- San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2018-2020
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program Standout Award for Microbusiness and Nonprofit Support, 2019
- Board Member and Lead Articles Editor of the San Diego Law Review