J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
B.A., University of California, Berkeley
Shirley Shu is Of Counsel at SRC and focuses her practice exclusively on labor and employment matters. In her over 10 years of practice, Shirley has represented employers in single plaintiff, representative, and class action matters across a variety of industries, including hospitality, restaurant, start-up, technology, franchising, and nonprofit industries. She is well versed in defending against claims of joint employment, wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage and hour violations. She has also handled matters involving employee mobility and trade secret issues.
Shirley has litigated cases before California state and federal courts, as well as before the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement’s Retaliation Division, Labor Commissioner, and National Labor Relations Board. She is well versed in all phases of litigation, including discovery, law and motion, and dispositive motion practice.
Prior to joining Sacks, Ricketts & Case LLP, Shirley worked as an Associate at DLA Piper LLP (US) and Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP. Additionally, during law school, Shirley served as an extern to the Honorable Fred Woods in the California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District, Division Seven.
- Representation of technology company before the DLSE against allegations of unpaid wages and bonuses. Obtained decision in employer’s favor.
- Representation of retail business before the DLSE against claims for unpaid commissions. Obtained decision in employer’s favor.
- Obtained summary judgment on employer’s behalf in Ricks v. United Air Lines, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34903 (N.D. Cal. 2013) and recovered costs.
- Obtained summary judgment on employer’s behalf in binding arbitration involving claims of disability discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and wage and hour claims. Subsequent confirmation of arbitration award in employer’s favor.
- Representation of operator of national chain of fast-food restaurants in defense of California class action brought by former General Manager alleging wage and hour violations.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- State of California
- University of California, Berkeley Lightweight Crew Association board member
- Northern California Super Lawyers – Rising Stars – 2012-2014