Susan T. Ye
J.D., Public Law Certificate, University of California, Davis School of Law 2011
B.A., with distinction, University of California, Berkeley 2007
Susan Ye is an associate in the Palo Alto office of Sacks, Ricketts & Case, LLP. Susan’s practice focuses on representing and advising employers and managers in a broad range of employment law matters in state and federal court as well as before administrative agencies. She routinely defends employers against claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, failure to accommodate, as well as wage and hour class actions and PAGA representative actions. Susan has been involved in all phases of dispute resolution, including pre-litigation, pleadings, law and motion, fact and expert discovery, taking and defending depositions, mediation and settlement negotiations, evidentiary hearings, trial preparation, post-trial briefing, and writs, as well as appeals. She has drafted and argued numerous prevailing motions and makes regular court appearances. In addition to her litigation work, Susan also has experience providing advice and counsel to employers concerning day-to-day employment issues, including hiring and screening practices, separation agreements, and development and review of company policies to identify risk and ensure compliance.
Prior to joining SRC, Susan gained extensive experience for several years in the San Francisco office of an AmLaw 100 labor and employment firm. Immediately following law school, Susan served as a judicial law clerk for the Supreme Court of Guam. During law school, she served as Executive Editor of the UC Davis Law Review and tutored first-year law students as a teaching assistant for the Legal Research and Writing Program.
- Negotiated favorable settlements prior to administrative hearings for alleged wage and hour violations on behalf of clients in the security guard, freight shipping, financial services, workforce staffing, property management, and drink manufacturing industries.
- Obtained favorable resolutions in reasonable accommodations and disability discrimination matters on behalf of national retail and hospitality industry clients.
- Prevailed in administrative hearings by obtaining findings of no recovery on wage and hour claims for alleged off-the-clock work and penalties against national staffing agencies.
- Deposed former employee plaintiffs in disability discrimination and retaliation matters against national hospitality management companies.
- Deposed current employee plaintiff in multi-plaintiff wage and hour matter against national transportation company.
- Deposed numerous witnesses in sexual harassment matter against national facilities maintenance company.
- Defended depositions of various managers, supervisors, and accused harassers in lawsuits involving reasonable accommodation, disability discrimination, and gender discrimination and harassment.
- Drafted prevailing Ninth Circuit writ of mandamus and concurrent district court emergency motion to alter or amend judgment, resulting in securing defendants’ constitutional right to a trial by jury in a civil matter.
- Drafted prevailing Ninth Circuit respondents’ brief, resulting in affirming the district court’s dismissal of action based on lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Drafted multiple successful motions and oppositions resulting in orders to compel disclosure of discoverable information, obtaining sanctions awards.
- Drafted motion that successfully obtained an order severing misjoined plaintiff’s claims from remainder of action.
- Obtained successful transfers of venue in wrongful termination actions against technology start-up company and materials manufacturer.
- Defended cargo logistics, urban safety and hospitality, and industrial materials companies in misclassification and wage and hour class actions.
- Assisted in obtaining summary adjudication where plaintiff conceded race discrimination claim.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- State of California
- Member, Asian Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
- UC Davis Law Review, Executive Editor
- Recipient, Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Legal Research & Writing I
- Recipient, Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Legal Research & Writing II
- Recipient, Continuing Education of the Bar Award for Excellence in Legal Research & Writing for Best Appellate Brief